[kde-freebsd] broke my kde, any hints?

Helge Rohde heroh at gmx.de
Mon Feb 12 20:19:35 CET 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 18:55, you wrote:
> > %file /usr/local/bin/start_kdeinit
> > /usr/local/bin/start_kdeinit: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
> > version 1 (FreeBSD), stripped
> >
> > No idea why startkde complains about an open parenthesis ... :(
>
> What's even more strange is that your initial e-mail contained this
> snippet:
>
> %start_kdeinit
> /usr/local/bin/start_kdeinit: Exec format error. Binary file not
> executable.
>
> So, file thinks start_kdeinit is executable but start_kdeinit does not
> agree.
I side with file here, I catted it and it looked pretty much like your average
binary would. No idea what could be confusing start_kdeinit to expect
something different... And it sure looks like it would.

> I have absolutely no idea what's wrong here. Maybe gcc 4.2
> somehow miscompiles KDE?
 I've been thinking along that line too, but it still sounds like a pretty
wild guess to me. I've been compiling ports with nonstandard gccs for ages
and it always either breaks while building or runs flawlessly. If it really
related to the gcc version then i believe there is some bug somewhere, I'd be
very surprised if that behaviour could somehow be by design. I am not C savvy
enough to be too confident about that assumption of course.

I might deinstall kdelibs and reinstall from a fetched package tonight to rule
out compiler interference tonight. If no one comes up with a better idea,
that is.

Helge