[kde-freebsd] multislot cardreader and hald

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Dec 21 12:59:44 CET 2007

on 20/12/2007 19:03 Jeremy Messenger said the following:
> I am no expert on hald, but if I understand it correct. If there is no
> probe in hald then hald will never know if you put/keep your da disks in
> and pull out. I bet other OSs do the same things. Correct me if I am wrong.

I now see what you are saying and this makes a lot of sense indeed. And
I agree that FreeBSD kernel is overly verbose about such a condition -
after all it is normal that a device with a ("field") removable media
can have no media. I need to check how FreeBSD 7 behaves in this respect
- I still use 6.2.
BTW, it seems that the messages come from SCSI/CAM code, so USB code
might not be a culprit here, it's just a "transport" for SCSI.

OTOH, I wonder why the same doesn't happen for empty CD tray ? - I mean
the constant querying (errors are still printed on access).
This is a very un-educated guess: maybe HAL knows that acd/cd can have
have no media and does some checks before accessing it, but maybe it
expects that da always has media and so it tries to access it without
any special checks ?
I.e. one can simply open and try to read da device or one could issue
some SCSI commands to query the actual HW.

--
Andriy Gapon