[kde-freebsd] multislot cardreader and hald

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu Dec 20 18:13:29 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 11:03 -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:51:37 -0600, Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:
>
> > on 20/12/2007 18:47 Jeremy Messenger said the following:

> >> It's FreeBSD since you still get w/out hald, report to freebsd-usb at .
> >
> > It's true that messages come from the kernel but, as I said,  without
> > hald I get only a few of them and that's it. With hald running these
> > messages are produced every 2 seconds until the card-reader is
> > disconnected. So hald must be doing something silly here, like never
> > giving up on probing those da disks without any media behind them.
>
> I am no expert on hald, but if I understand it correct. If there is no
> probe in hald then hald will never know if you put/keep your da disks in
> and pull out. I bet other OSs do the same things. Correct me if I am wrong.

This is a FreeBSD problem, but it's not a hal problem per se.  I think
the GEOM/SCSI people are working to hide these kind of messages, but in
the meantime, you either need to live with them, stop using hal, or tell
hal to stop probing that device.

The way hal works is that it periodically probes devices to determine if
there is media changes.  In this manner, hal can auto-mount volumes.  If
you do not want to auto-mount media from this device, then search the
archives for ways to manipulate the .fdi files to stop hal from probing
this device.  Again, the ideal solution would be for the kernel people
to hide these messages behind verbose booting.

Joe