[kde-freebsd] Removal of gnu-autoconf/make

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 14 11:51:40 CEST 2007

Michael Nottebrock schrieb:
> Ade Lovett schrieb:

>> Wow, detect-autoconf.pl is one *bizarre* script.
>>
> Just goes to show you / we were not the first people to pull hair over
> autotools and their various incarnations. :)
>

>>   Pardon my ignorance, but is this script run during at any stage of
>> the building of devel/kdevelop, or is it elsewhere?
>>
> No, it is part of the KDE "admin-dir", which contains a few Makefiles,
> scripts and autotools macro definitions. The idea is that when you write
> an autotools-based KDE program, you can start off with a
> minimal/nonexistant Makefile.am/configure.in(.in), and just run gmake -f
> admin/Makefile.cvs and that will do the rest.
>
> This admin dir is not used for building KDevelop itself (the
> distribution tarballs come with all the autoconf scripts pre-generated),
> but every new KDE project created in KDevelop is bootstrapped with it.
>
>> The -wrapper ports are very closely mirrored after what Gentoo does,
>> so in of themselves, shouldn't be causing any problems (this is also
>> borne out by other usage of devel/autotools, both within IDEs, and
>> calling them to build projects manually).
>>
>> If detect-autoconf.pl is used in the kdevelop build process, then
>> changing the "autotools:run" to "autotools:both" stanza in the
>> Makefile should address this by bringing in all the versions of
>> autoconf/automake, and then going from there.
>>
> I will try that.

Ooops, I misunderstood that last paragraph, that is not going to help
here, is it? I would rather not patch detect-autoconf.pl - first up, it
would be somewhat difficult to make sure the original script never gets
regenerated, then you get it with every KDE CVS checkout, where it will
break it the same way and since the wrapper is supposed to be a drop-in
replacement for the real thing, I am somewhat inclined to just say it
should work in this case, too. ;P

I was not joking FWIW when I said my perl-fu is not strong enough - I
really do not know why detect-autoconf.pl is not happy with the aclocal
wrapper. Can this be remedied by changing the aclocal wrapper at all?

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org