[kde-freebsd] var/log/messages umass da0 >6 how to stop?

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Mon Apr 30 19:01:08 CEST 2007

On Monday 30 April 2007 09:32:07 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Monday, 30. April 2007, David Southwell wrote:
> > [ Device probing message spam ]
> > [...]
> >
> > Can anyone help further?
>
> The short explanation: Those messages are generated by the kernel and
> triggered by the continuous polling of hald for media. The correct fix
> would be making the kernel less verbose - I don't know if anyone is working
> on that at the moment.
>
> There is very little you can do about it as it is - you can make sure to
> configure newsyslog so that /var/log/messages and its backup copies don't
> overflow your /var filesystem by editing /etc/newsyslog.conf and you can
> configure syslogd to write messages you care about to separate logs so they
> don't get lost too quickly in the kernel spam.
>
> Cheers,

Thank you Michael.

I gather, from what you say, that there are no configuration options for hald
to prevent this happening. Should I make a posting to another news group or
is there some other way of bringing this to the attantion of someone who
might know how to fix it?

Thanks again for another valued contribution from you

david