[kde-freebsd] Question about porting a little KDE app

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Fri Apr 6 20:00:09 CEST 2007

Daniel W. Steinbrook wrote:
> I just finished a simple port (my first) of one of my favorite little KDE
> applications, the Keep backup tool
> (http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=32984), and I hope to submit
> it to the ports collection soon.  It builds/installs/packages
> itself/deinstalls nicely now, but I have one porting-noobish-type
> question: what is the proper use of ldconfig in the Makefile?  Keep does
> install some files into ${PREFIX}/lib, including a KDE service daemon, but
> the port runs without the USE_LDCONFIG line.
>
> Is this a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

If you're asking whether you should set USE_LDCONFIG anyway, then the
answer is yes.

I suspect that those files the application installs might actually belong
in ${PREFIX}/lib/kde3 rather than ${PREFIX}/lib ... if that is the case
though, it's an application bug that can be sorted out by the developers
of the application later and shouldn't keep you from submitting the port.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org