[kde-freebsd] system:/media/cd0 and volume_label not latin symbols

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 4 12:58:29 CEST 2007

On Wednesday, 4. April 2007, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:

> > So I see several solutions:
> >  1. By default submit to HAL user's locale encoded mount point name.
>
> This is not possible. All hal data must be encoded in UTF-8.
>
> >  2. Modify mount point naming scheme to something which is not
> >     dependant on locale encoding, for example, to device name.
>
> I'd rather not make this the default behaviour. The volume label is
> much more informative than the device name and should cause no
> problems for most users.
>
> >  3. Change user's locale to UTF8.
>
> This is the recommended solution. UTF-8 is now universally supported
> and I see no reason to stick to a legacy encoding.

Universally supported except in FreeBSD. :( I'm not aware of any substantial
work on UTF-8 since it was imported, which would mean that there's still no
collation support.

If even some Linux distributions despite their vastly superior UTF-8 support
apparently do it, I think solution 2 should at least be offered via OPTIONS
right in the port - installing an alternative ruleset wouldn't be too
difficult to implement.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org