[kde-freebsd] system:/media/cd0 and volume_label not latin symbols

Maxim Samsonov xors at mne.ru
Wed Apr 4 03:49:33 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 15:39:43 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Sunday, 1. April 2007, Maxim Samsonov wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 April 2007 22:09:46 Andrew Muhametshin wrote:
> > > It is impossible to open a DVD/CD-media if a label of volume not latin
> > > symbols. I asked some Linux-users, and it was found out, that in them,
> > > mount point undertakes from a name of the device, for example:
> > > "/media/cd0", but in FreeBSD, for mount point is used
> > > "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label" -- and from for it there
> > > are problems to their opening.
> >
> > You can achieve the same behaviour (like on linux) system wide
> > through HAL's "desired mount point" mechanism.
> > For example, if you place attached "10-cdrom-policy.fdi" file
> > to your HAL's fdi dir (most probably
> > in "/usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty"),
> > /dev/cd0 and /dev/cd1 should be mounted under /media/cdrom0 and
> > /media/cdrom1 correspondingly.
>
> I forwarded this thread to gnome@ because it seemed to me like a more
> generic
>
> problem with either DBUS or FreeBSD and got this reply from jylefort@:
> > It looks like a Konqueror problem. You should try to determine why it
> > cannot open that directory (what the russian error dialog means).
>
> Unfortunately I cannot read the screenshot either, what do you think is the
> problem, Maxim - FreeBSD (mount) getting confused by the non-latin
> filename, the encoding getting jumbled somewhere on the DBUS or something
> else entirely?
>
> (gnome@ cc'd)

This error message means:
The file or folder /media/(...junk...) does not exist.
But this folder exists and is properly mounted. You can see this
on my screenshot - error dialog and terminal window with /media dir
listed (all messages in english, except mount point name
and disc contents :) ).
http://foto.rambler.ru/users/xors/_photos/mediasnap/webbig.html

I think that incorrectly encoded dir name, from user's locale point of view,
appears because HAL can't properly choose which encoding to use for mount
point dir name or doesn't even try, and creates dir with UTF8 encoded name.
By default KDE media manager doesn't submit any mount point name to HAL
leaving it for him to decide which one is to be used. Media manager sends to
HAL something which is not an empty string when mount point name is set from
GUI or by desired mount point policy.
So I see several solutions:
 1. By default submit to HAL user's locale encoded mount point name.
 2. Modify mount point naming scheme to something which is not
    dependant on locale encoding, for example, to device name.
 3. Change user's locale to UTF8.