Splash screen translation

Vincent Pinon vpinon at kde.org
Sam 5 Aou 22:05:52 UTC 2017

Le vendredi 4 août 2017, 08:05:24 CEST Harald Sitter a écrit :
> On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 10:29 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 August 2017 21:00:26 Olivier Churlaud wrote:
> >> I've seen on my French version of Plasma that the string "Plasma, made by
> >> KDE" on the loading screen (after entering your credentials) was translated
> >> in French. I think it's a mistake to translate this, because it just
> >> doesn't sound as cool as the english one.
> >>
> >> Maybe it's just french, or my feeling about it, but I think the "made by"
> >> works very well in English.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >> Please add me in copy of your answer, as I'm not anymore in the mailing
> >> list.
> >
> > iirc my first intention was to make it a non translatable string, but
> > understanably several translator teams didn't like it. so probably this
> > decision should be done language by language with decision by the single
> > teams?
>
> Yes, absolutely. Different languages have different requirements here,
> some tend to use "made by" or "powered by" verbatim, others translate
> it. In fact, even different countries with the same language may
> differ. Depending on where you are English taglines may be common
> place or not.
>
> HS

Hello,

Thanks for the remark!
Probably I wasn't really awake when translating the string :\
From France/Belgium/Switzerland/etc, I don't see a problem to come back to "made by"; maybe Canadians won't like it ;)
Or maybe someone would have a suggestion for a translation that sounds better and keeps the spirit?
"créé par KDE" (matching, but maybe overused in marketing: every brand sells itself as a "créateur"),
"conçu par KDE"
... ?
Cheers,

Vincent