Maintainers of KDE Frameworks for the Windows platform?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Jan 24 00:00:03 GMT 2022

Hi,

in the past it was hard to find someone to fix things for KDE Frameworks on
Windows, and too often people not interested in Windows had instead to spend
their costly leisure time to solve problems, e.g. by debugging via CI runs.

I do not think we can expect from every contributor/patch author they are
capable to understand and to solve things on all platforms. For one as this
does not scale, and even more when the platform is a proprietary one that
otherwise works against the mission of KDE and people rather avoid to have to
know about it.

So we need dedicated maintainer teams for each platform IMHO. And if that team
is empty, have to drop the official support for that platform, instead of e.g.
having it a "broken windows theory" thing on CI (pun intended).

Given Linux (default, all the usual suspect contributors), FreeBSD (Tobias,
Adriaan), and Android (some other usual suspect contributors) are covered,
there is a reaction time the same day often, when help is needed with those.
Other than for Windows (and macOS once it makes it to CI).

Who would be available as contact person for KF @ Windows, so could be
reliably called in to solve code issues appearing in new work or regressions
by external influences? Either by a to be created @teams tag or as highly
available individuals?

If we do not have enough people who can provide at least, say, weekly work on
the Windows platform, I would propose to drop the official support, as it is
an annoying burden to those who have no stakes on that platform.
And also harms the reputation of the KF product, because being badly
maintained and thus partially broken makes it into the developer/user
experience on those platforms, which then is mapped onto the whole product
(rightfully), not just the support on that platform.

Cheers
Friedrich