KF6 meeting notes 2022-01-04

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Jan 4 17:07:45 GMT 2022

https://phabricator.kde.org/T15127 (Qt6 build status update):
- 60+ modules build
- Kate (without plugins) with Breeze style and platform file dialogs mostly
working
- Kirigami might not be doable without branching (Button.icon,
QtGraphicalEffects)
- CI setup in progress
- in some places includes with the framework prefix don't seem to work anymore
(ie. <KFramework/KBla> vs <KBla>), any idea where those extra include
directories came from/got lost?

https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kwallet/-/merge_requests/22
- was launching kwalletmanager via deprecated KService API
- KIO::ApplicationLaunchJob becomes possible after a QtKeyChain migration of
KIO
- QProcess as temporary porting scaffolding is an option, but how to ensure
this doesn't stay around for KF6?
- make this conditional on KF version < 6.0? needs to fail hard when disabled,
not silently drop code for the release

https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/677
- same solution might be applicable here

Timeline
- KF6 branching is not too far away given the current speed
- so we'll need to discuss whether that already makes sense, or whether there
are hard KF blockers to sort out first, and whether that's too fast for apps/
Plasma and we need to help those catch up first
- full branching vs. only branch some modules

https://phabricator.kde.org/T14316 - QtKeyChain porting
- David E found a lot of problems for porting
- QtKeyChain doesn't support KWallet's concept of two folders - might be a
problem limited to Plasma/KF users, applications use their own top-level entry
- use a separator char in the key name for implementing backward compatible
two-level lookup in KWallet

https://phabricator.kde.org/T15140
- "using namespace" in a public header isn't a good idea
- check if typedef aliases are an option for this instead

https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/extra-cmake-modules/-/merge_requests/214
- ready to be merged

KDeclarative
- its KCM module contains generic code used outside of KCM context as well,
like the GridView
- Because we want to split up KDeclarative, it is probably better placed in
kirigami-addons, but we finally need to get that into KF and released.
- KCM specific QML files should be moved to KCMUtils

https://phabricator.kde.org/T13970
- can be closed

Topics to discuss in a slightly larger scope:
- solution for the QTextCodec problem
- determine hard KF6 blocker tasks