Requiring ECM 5.85 makes apps stop compiling

Christoph Cullmann (cullmann.io) christoph at cullmann.io
Mon Feb 14 15:53:42 GMT 2022

On 2022-02-14 16:32, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> It introduces code breaking defines, some of them even of questionable
> benefit for an application like QT_NO_KEYWORDS
>
> I don't understand how such a breaking commit was accepted.
>
> Who is going to fix all the applications in KDE to build after that?
>
> Apps that I've tried and failed:
>  * okular
>  * kdenlive
>  * konsole
>  * ktuberling
>  * kgeography
>
> And i stopped tried because i was getting super sad nothing was
> compiling.
>
> What is the suggested solution for this? Because I don't think it
> makes sense to burn hundreds of hours just replacing signal to
> Q_SIGNAL and wrapping all the strings ever in QStringLiteral and
> QLatin1Char.
>
> Never require a modern ECM?
>
> unset those defines again from the application side?
>
> Something else?

Hmm,

isn't the reason they use

include(KDEFrameworkCompilerSettings NO_POLICY_SCOPE)

and this enforces the above stuff that makes sense for libraries (as
e.g. without the QT_NO_KEYWORDS
they easily clash with stuff from e.g. LLVM headers like I had at work).

I would assume if one just removed this, the more relaxed

include(KDECompilerSettings NO_POLICY_SCOPE)

won't cause these issues.

But I might be wrong.

Greetings
Christoph