KF API Documentation proposed, small, addition

Ahmad Samir a.samirh78 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 19:23:10 BST 2021

On 09/09/2021 23:34, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 9. September 2021, 23:23:29 CEST schrieb Ahmad Samir:

>>> What I would like to see are some argument for why you want this change?
>>> What is broken now, what does it improve?
>>> Can you give an example where your proposal is applied and what the result
>>> is, before and after?
>>
>> I think it's useful to markup the method names, that makes reading the API
>> docs in text format in a header file easier, the same way marking up
>> true/false is useful, the same way syntax highlighting in most text editors
>> is useful.
>
> I see, that is where you are coming from, it makes some sense there. But...
>
> ... it only makes sense for people looking at headers in a plain text editor
> which also is capable of parsing doxygen comments and adding respective
> highlighting.
>
> .. for every other plain text viewers/editors, including on the gitlab file
> viewer, it makes things harder to read.

I don't see how it's harder to read the API docs than '@c true' or '@param'
or any other doxygen command when viewed in an editor that doesn't highlight doxygen syntax
properly; those same editors highlight C++ code properly?

> .. it very possibly lowers the quality of the generated API docs, which should
> be the main purpose of writing those API documentation snippets, no?
>
> So im summary not convinced this would be a change for the better.
>
> Cheers
> Friedrich

Since no one else seems to care either way, I'll drop the matter.

Regards,
Ahmad Samir