KF API Documentation proposed, small, addition

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Sep 9 21:24:27 BST 2021

Am Donnerstag, 9. September 2021, 21:45:33 CEST schrieb Ahmad Samir:
> On 30/08/2021 16:35, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Thanks for pushing this here.
> >
> > Am Montag, 30. August 2021, 14:17:42 CEST schrieb Ahmad Samir:
> > Open question:
> > in which places is it a good idea to use "code"-style with class names and
> > method names? So when does readability suffer by too many changes in the
> > formatting in a text body?
> >
> > Looking e.g. at the Qt docs for a reference, they do not use "code"-style
> > when referencing classes or methods from text, as well as in the listing
> > of classes and methods. So I wonder if this is by design or just
> > historic?
>
> They use QDoc, IIUC; and it looks like they recommend using \c
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/04-qdoc-commands-textmarkup.html
>
> at least that page suggests so.

Then our question was not "if" they have a command to markup things to be
printed code-like, but "when" it should be used. And the examples they give
(not sure though if exclusive or inclusive) are

"
variable names, user-defined class names, and C++ keywords (for example, int
and for)
".

So no mention of names of the methods, members, properties and classes the
documentation is about (note the "user-defined"). And looking at the existing
Qt API documentation, I would guess the given list is rather exclusive then,
and \c with Qt is not to be used when referencing the elements of the
documented API itself (at least in flow text).

Myself I meanwhile rather think that this might be a good choice. Imagine how
e.g. https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qstring.html would look like if all text elements
referencing Qt classes or method names would be in code-style. I guess the
reading flow in the flow text blocks would suffer a lot.

Cheers
Friedrich