Requiring Qt 5.15 for KDE Frameworks 5?

Christoph Cullmann christoph at cullmann.io
Sun Mar 28 08:59:59 BST 2021

On 2021-03-27 18:09, David Faure wrote:
>> I think we need to be more specific and say what is the minimum
>> compiler
>> version. Maybe we can set g++8 as the minimum and use C++17 language
>> features while avoiding std::filesystem.
>>
>> But only if someone actually cares about keeping gcc8 support :)
>
> I'm pretty sure we can live without std::filesystem, given that we have
> QFile
> and KIO. I would actually find it confusing to see code that starts
> using a
> third subsystem for this, at least until proving that it's way
> better....
We discussed that yesterday in the modern C++ sub-group, too.

The consensus there was more or less that if people use std::filesystem,
they can interface with Qt/KDE via the overloads Qt provides, e.g. for
QFile

https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qfile.html

and others and we should not start to add overloads or extra
slots/signals
with std::filesystem overloads to Frameworks.

Greetings
Christoph

--
Ignorance is bliss...