D28033: Create ExpandableListItem

Marco Martin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 19 09:33:18 GMT 2020

mart added a comment.

  In D28033#630073 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28033#630073>, @ngraham wrote:

  > (WRT duration) What should I do then? Hardcode something? Add a new duration in a separate patch? The only standard durations we have are all quite short; neither one feels suitable for the animation I'm using here.

  to me the real problem is really the default settings for durations longDuration became 150ms or so, (shortduration is something so short that usually the animation frames just gets dropped altogether so it's pointless to even use it ever)
  I know this was done in the attempt of improving animations, but the end effect is ridiculous and makes animations actually looking worse, either comically fast (super fast fades are ok, item movements or resizes shouldn't actually be too fast, or be perceived as threatening) or no frames rendered at all even if there is code for it
  the original default values of 150 and 250 msecs for short and long were quite fine actually

  also, we should probably start into looking using SmoothedAnimation speed more rather than durations (to not fix travel time, but travel speed) (as animators don't support it and we would need something that reacts to global animations settings probably we would need our implementation of the speed concept)

  https://valhead.com/2016/05/05/how-fast-should-your-ui-animations-be/
  https://www.nngroup.com/articles/too-fast-ux/
  https://uxdesign.cc/the-ultimate-guide-to-proper-use-of-animation-in-ux-10bd98614fa9

REPOSITORY