D25517: Add an option to extract image data and add front cover property

Alexander Stippich noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 12 15:56:29 GMT 2020

astippich marked 2 inline comments as done.
astippich added a comment.

  In D25517#588029 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D25517#588029>, @bruns wrote:

  > The problem is the extractor serves two different use cases:
  >
  > - retrieval for searching/caching properties
  > - on-demand extraction
  >
  >   Baloo falls into the first category. It is only interested in properties which can be queried/compared in a meaningful way. Even storing the properties as a cache for e.g. Dolphin is a little bit of a stretch.
  >
  >   Elisa falls into the second category. It does not store the extracted data persistently, but is fine extracting e.g. the front cover on demand.
  >
  >   Currently the only large/blob property is the front cover. But what about BackCover, Leaflet pages, ..., Video Thumbnails? Returning all of these even when not required is wasteful. If you want a front cover, say so.

  Yeah, in that case it would be a little bit wasteful. But again, I think if we implement this fine-grained control, it should be done for all properties.
  And this is out-of-scope for this patch.

  > For KF6, ExtractEverything should just be removed. It is not especially useful, not even for unit tests.
  >  Request the data you want and are able to handle, and do so explicitly.

  I have adjusted this as requested.

REPOSITORY
  R286 KFileMetaData