D26440: Add utility method for opening a KSharedConfig suitable to store state information

Nicolas Fella noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 5 17:52:06 GMT 2020

nicolasfella created this revision.
nicolasfella added reviewers: Frameworks, dfaure.
Herald added a project: Frameworks.
Herald added a subscriber: kde-frameworks-devel.
nicolasfella requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  A common complaint is that our apps store 'state' information such as recent files or window sizes in their configuration files, making it ugly to store them in version control systems.

  Therefore we should not store such information in XDG_CONFIG_DIR but instead use XDG_DATA_DIR for this.

  This patch adds a utility method that creates a KSharedConfig backed by a file in such a suitable location.

  For e.g. dolphin the file .config/dolphin/dolphinstate would be created

REPOSITORY
  R237 KConfig

BRANCH
  state