RFC: Switching to min Qt version 5.14 for KF on December 14th

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Dec 16 23:20:41 GMT 2020

Hi,

Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2020, 22:25:32 CET schrieb David Faure:
> Just a data point on this discussion. Every time we raise the min Qt
> version, we make life easier for KDE developers, and harder for others who
> might be thinking of integrating a framework into their project.
>
> Just today I tried using a KF5 library to extend a single plugin in an
> existing webserver (which I don't control, and which is mostly written in
> python) [1]. That server is entirely set up with a docker environment on top
> of... debian buster, which has Qt 5.11.3.
> Fail.
> I'm going to have to apply a patch to the KF5 library as part of the
> Dockerfile, to port it back to Qt 5.11. No way I can convince them to change
> the base distribution, all I'll get as a reply is to port away from QtCore.
>
> Obviously the 5.11 ship has sailed by now, and I know we can't support old
> versions forever, but this kind of experience makes me very wary of raising
> requirements too fast.

I am reading an objection to the proposed bump in these words, am I correct in
doing that? Given you being KF release worker/manager and all your merits with
KF, and also given no-one else so far has commented on this. I would accept
that then and drop my request to adapt the current Qt compatibility road map.

I tested the waters at least.

Though please those who want to support Qt 5.13 for some more time, consider
adding support for KDE CI then. It leaves a bad feeling in my stomach that KF
5.77+ seems effectively for Qt 5.13 with a sticker "Good Luck!" right now. I
fear that lowers the image with (potential) KF consumers, it does at least
with me for other projects.
I (and possibly many other KF contributors) have no way to test against Qt
5.13, so might introduce regressions/break things in the future, which feels
bad :/

Cheers
Friedrich