RFC: Switching to min Qt version 5.14 for KF on December 14th

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Dec 6 16:39:38 GMT 2020

El diumenge, 6 de desembre de 2020, a les 14:20:47 CET, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> you might have seen I asked* whether anyone knows a real world requirement to
> stick with Qt 5.13 as new current minimum required Qt version for current KF
> releases. So far no-one had to report a reason to support Qt >= 5.13 instead
> of only Qt >= 5.14 now.
> * E.g. https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/distributions/2020-December/000894.html
>
> So hereby I propose to switch for KF 5.78 to Qt 5.14 as minimum version, and
> change the KF dependencies policy text* to this:
> * https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Policies#Frameworks_Qt_requirements
>
> "
> With Qt6 this changes a little bit again. We interpolate "as if" more Qt 5
> versions would be released. Then adapt to actual real world usage of a given
> Qt version:
> * Qt 5.13 will be the minimum required version 6 months after Qt 5.15, i.e. on
> * Qt 5.14 would be the minimum required version 12 months after Qt 5.15, i.e.
> on 26 May 2021. With no-one known to stick with Qt 5.13, the date is moved to
> earlier mid-December 2020.
> * Qt 5.15 LTS will be the minimum required version 18 months after its
> release, i.e. on 26 Nov 2021
> "
>
> from previous
>
> "
> With Qt6 this changes a little bit again. We interpolate "as if" more Qt 5
> versions would be released:
> * Qt 5.13 will be the minimum required version 6 months after Qt 5.15, i.e. on
> * Qt 5.14 will be the minimum required version 12 months after Qt 5.15, i.e.
> on 26 May 2021
> * Qt 5.15 LTS will be the minimum required version 18 months after its
> release, i.e. on 26 Nov 2021
> "
>
> I also propose that if no objections pop up until Monday, December 14th, CET
> Noon, we then go that day and update the policy and have our dependency
> bumping service people execute the bump to Qt 5.14.
>
> Your comments, please :)

Personally what interests me more as a minimum Qt version is not what distributions will be shipping it, but what they have already shipped so existing people can become developers without having to compile all of Qt.

Looking at https://repology.org/project/qt/badges

The distros with Qt 5.13 are:
 * Chakra
 * Fedora 31
 * MidnightBSD
 * openBSD
 * OpenMandriva 4.0

Both Fedora 31 and OpenMandriva 4.0 have releases with newer Qt so I guess those wanting to develop have a relatively easy path forward.

Chakra seems on the "almost dead" area (Qt 5.13 for what's supposedly a rolling distribution is not a good sign) so i'm going to guess it doesn't have many users still.

The BSDs are a bit more unfortunate.

Not a -1 nor a -1 from my side, just wanting to provide a different perspective that's looking to the past of distributions and not to the future.

Cheers,
  Albert