Would distributions have an issue if KF 5.77+ would require Qt >= 5.14 (instead of >= 5.13 as of now)?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Dec 4 18:27:09 GMT 2020

Hi,

thanks everyone for your replies so far, shaping the picture of where we are.

Am Dienstag, 1. Dezember 2020, 13:13:53 CET schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> last week KDE Frameworks master saw a bump in the required/expected minimal
> Qt version to Qt 5.13, following rules once agreed and noted here:
> https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Policies#Frameworks_Qt_requirements
>
> I would like to challenge that former decision though and propose to instead
> go straight to Qt 5.14 as minimum requirement now.
>

> QUESTION:
> Would any of the distributions have an issue with requiring Qt 5.14 instead
> of Qt 5.13?

So far no-one of those who replied in the last three days would have issues*.
Sounds promising.

Just, KF 5.77 is going to be tagged this upcoming WE. And meanwhile it would
feel too rushed to me to push for a bump to Qt 5.14 as minimum version already
now, I would feel better if people had something like 2 weeks time to comment
on this (think being on vacation or only having 1 day per week for KDE).

So I will adapt and officially go to propose to do that bump in time for KF
5.78 then.

* The only project which has issues with Qt 5.14 is also having issues with Qt
5.13 (Krita sees breakage with QMdi on Windows for Qt > 5.12)

Cheers
Friedrich