D23789: RFC: Add ECMGenerateExportHeaders, for improved handling of deprecated API

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Sep 30 16:31:45 BST 2019

kossebau added a comment.

  Quick Update (week 40):
  Locally have added experimental code to even set the proper attribute for GCC compiler, so we get e.g.:

    /home/koder/Kode/kdegit/kf5/frameworks/kparts/tests/notepad.cpp: In constructor ‘NotepadPart::NotepadPart(QWidget*, QObject*, const QVariantList&)’:
    /home/koder/Kode/kdegit/kf5/frameworks/kparts/tests/notepad.cpp:46:55: warning: ‘KAboutData& KAboutData::setProgramIconName(const QString&)’ is deprecated: Use QApplication::setWindowIcon [-Wdeprecated-declarations]

  Still need to clean up the code and update the patch.

  Open questions you might want to comment on already:
  a) Also plan to use the version info and prefix the message text with a "Since major.minor.", as this info also is interesting usually.
  b) A thing I am unsure about is: CMake's `generate_export_header` does the compiler detection in cmake code and then generates code for that very compiler. Which then ends up with the installed/deployed include files. Which might be an issue for people who would like to use different compiler on the same system, both building against the same generated export header file.
  Draft code currently moves compiler detection  for deprecated(text) support in generated code, as I have no clue whether one can expect all compilers to digest what the system compiler when it comes to this attribute?

REPOSITORY
  R240 Extra CMake Modules