D23815: [KConfig] port away from deprecated methods in Qt 5.14

Antonio Rojas noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Sep 10 10:42:06 BST 2019

arojas added a comment.

  In D23815#528369 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23815#528369>, @mlaurent wrote:

  > Why you don't add add_definitions(-DQT_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_BEFORE=0x060000) in cmake toplevel ?
  >  or 5.14 value ? so we can be sure that it builds without deprecated method until it.
  >
  > (I prefere QT_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_BEFORE=0x060000 so we can fix it each time that we increase qt and not just waiting that we port to qt6) :)

  Please don't. This should never, ever, be in released code (it's the same kind of evil as -Werror). You're artificially imposing an expiration date on the code, and effectively reverting Qt5 binary compatibility commitment. You don't know which Qt version the distributions shipping your application will be using, it may be newer than the one available at release time. -DQT_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_BEFORE should not be set to anything higher than the latest release, Qt is known to change their API even at the RC stage.

  This kind of thing should only be added to the developer's personal build flags, or to CI.

REPOSITORY
  R237 KConfig