D24755: [KStatusNotifierItem] Optionaly, do not take menu ownership

Anthony Fieroni noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Oct 21 15:05:11 BST 2019

anthonyfieroni added a comment.

  In D24755#551320 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24755#551320>, @kmaterka wrote:

  > In D24755#550415 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24755#550415>, @anthonyfieroni wrote:
  >
  > > That should be fine, in QPA we have a tray icon per sni, update menu should be on same object which will not be a problem, check it.
  >

  > There are two objects in QPA that live independently:
  >
  > - KDEPlatformSystemTrayIcon (QPlatformSystemTrayIcon), with KSNI instance, KSNI and KDEPlatformSystemTrayIcon **are** destroyed on QSystemTrayIcon->hide() and new instance (with new KSNI) is created on QSystemTrayIcon->show()
  > - SystemTrayMenu (QPlatformMenu) is **not** destroyed on QSystemTrayIcon->hide() and will be reused later on QSystemTrayIcon->show()
  >
  >   kdeplatformsystemtrayicon.cpp#L339 <https://github.com/KDE/plasma-integration/blob/master/src/platformtheme/kdeplatformsystemtrayicon.cpp#L339>
  >
  >   ``` void KDEPlatformSystemTrayIcon::updateMenu(QPlatformMenu *menu) { //... if (SystemTrayMenu *ourMenu = qobject_cast<SystemTrayMenu*>(menu)) { m_sni->setContextMenu(ourMenu->menu()); } } ```
  >
  >   About you patch: I understand your idea, but it changes API contract and is not backward-compatible. Current documentation says:
  >
  > > The KStatusNotifierItem instance takes ownership of the menu, and will delete it upon its destruction.
  >
  > This is quite clear, I want to be really careful here - I don't want to be blamed for memory leaks :) I think that we need to keep:

  First, it will not have memory leaks, we take ownership on parentless menu, on menu that has a parent, it will destroy it by parent-child cleanups.
  I want to be more clear why SystemTrayMenu is not destroyed on hide, the idea behind that code is to be created a new try menu. On updateMenu you call it by same object that's why it's not destroyed, did you have stack strace, that's not normal to me.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications