D24641: Collect more information from version control systems

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 15 09:24:36 BST 2019

sitter added a comment.

  Do we have a request for this outside kbibtex? My attitude towards adding things to ECM is always "is there more than one user".

  ECM_SOURCE_VERSION_CONTROL_COMMIT_COUNT seems very specific and opinionated (what's origin? does it count commits in merges? also the question you raise vis a vis SVN), not necessarily cheap to do based on VCS type and history size and to be honest I am not sure what the use is of knowing how many commits there are in total, specifically because for decentralized systems like git there may be any number of local commits in that count. So I would not add it.

  Branch and rev seems plenty useful so long as there's demand for it outside a single project. BZR and HG I would remove on account of being incomplete, possibly also SVN for lack of demand (?).

  Lastly, I think that all of the variables should perhaps be individual functions. This file is included by every single KDE software implicitly, so we'd run >= 2 $CMD forks every single time cmake is run but for all we know 99% of all projects do not use the variables we set. What do you think?

REPOSITORY
  R240 Extra CMake Modules