D23384: [WIP] Adding support for mounting KIOFuse URLs for applications that don't use KIO

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Nov 30 20:41:01 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D23384#569645 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23384#569645>, @fvogt wrote:

  > **Issue #1:**
  >
  > That happens because the .desktop file sets `X-KDE-Protocols=ftp,http,https,mms,rtmp,rtsp,sftp,smb`:
  >  https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/blob/master/share/vlc.desktop.in#L124

  I'm not sure about that. If I remove that line from VLC's installed desktop file, the problem still happens. And SMPlayer exhibits the same problem yet its desktop file doesn't define `X-KDE-Protocols` at all: https://sourceforge.net/p/smplayer/code/HEAD/tree/smplayer/trunk/smplayer.desktop

  > **Issue #2:**
  >
  > The only explanation I have for that is that totem for some reason starts reading the file from the end.
  >  If you start `kio-fuse -d` manually (kill the other kio-fuse process first) and then use totem again, what's the debug output

  There is no debug output, and the whole file is downloaded locally as with the other apps. It seems like Totem is not getting the FUSE mount path; it gets an `smb://` URL and it or KIO downloads the file normally. Again, this happens even if I open the file from the FUSE mount path itself.

  I can confirm that the FUSE path handoff is working properly. For example if I open `smb://gaston@living-room-pc/Users/Gaston/Desktop/Shep Face Code.txt` in Gedit, Gedit displays the file's path as follows: F7791491: Screenshot_20191130_133857.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7791491>

  > **Issue #3:**
  >
  > Everything is in a separate process and async already. When/how does it happen?

  When I open a large video file from the hidden mount path in any of the media player apps. KIO (or something) downloads the entire file, during which time Dolphin freezes. The moment the network activity ends because the file is finished downloading, Dolphin becomes responsive again. It's 100% reproducible for me.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO