KInit - Current state and benchmarks

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Nov 25 21:57:11 GMT 2019

El dissabte, 23 de novembre de 2019, a les 11:47:40 CET, Milian Wolff va escriure:
> On Mittwoch, 19. Juni 2019 19:57:56 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El dimarts, 18 de juny de 2019, a les 12:04:38 CEST, David Edmundson va
> escriure:
> > > It's at least safe to assume it's the trend moving forward.

> > > More data is normally a good thing. If you or anyone else wants to
> > > collect stats:
> > > From my git link above, it's as simple as running the normal ; cmake;
> > > make ; ./kinittest -median 5
> >
> > On my very old/very slow computer seems to make a lot of difference
> >
> > RESULT : DaveTest::testQProcess():
> >      2,625 msecs per iteration (total: 2,625, iterations: 1)
> > RESULT : DaveTest::testKInit():
> >      1,852 msecs per iteration (total: 1,852, iterations: 1)
> >

> > RESULT : DaveTest::testQProcess():
> >      2,390 msecs per iteration (total: 2,390, iterations: 1)
> > RESULT : DaveTest::testKInit():
> >      1,846 msecs per iteration (total: 1,846, iterations: 1)
>
> Hey Albert,
>
> these numbers are quite impressive but I can't quite explain those. Are you
> measuring maybe a full debug build without any compiler optimizations?

I obviously can't remember, this was *months* ago, but i just ran the test again (making sure -O3 was there and not any -g) and got a bit different results, so maybe it was.

New results:
 * testQProcess: 2200 msec per iteration
 * testKInit:    1700 msec per iteration

Still a 20% speed improvement.

> Then
> the library sizes will be _much_ larger and thus trigger more page faults. If
> every one of those is extremely slow on that machine compared to more modern
> machines?
>
> May I ask how old this machine is and what the speed of the HDD is?

It's a Lenovo ideapad S10-3t, around 10 years old, the HDD is slow. But it's of similar power to the Librecomputer La Frite i just got for free at LinuxAppSummit, so even this is on the slow end of things we support i think there's value on supporting it.

If you're interested i can arrange you to get ssh access to the machine (the ideapad, i don't have all the KF5/Qt stack built for the LaFrite).

Cheers,
  Albert