kconfig-elektra

kde5 at markus-raab.org kde5 at markus-raab.org
Tue Nov 12 15:58:19 GMT 2019

Dear KDE developers,

As discussed in Akademy 2018 [1] Felix Resch and Dardan Haxhimustafa are
working on a patch for KConfig so that KConfig uses Elektra [2] instead
of the KConfigINI backend.

We forked the KConfig repository [3] and currently try to:
1. successfully start KDE to use Elektra (Felix Resch)
2. implement a new plugin for Elektra that supports the KConfig INI
   files for a smooth transition to Elektra (Dardan Haxhimustafa)
3. improve Elektra's qt-gui, which will provide a low-level GUI for the
   whole (KDE) configuration (Dardan Haxhimustafa)

Two questions came up until now:
1. Is KConfigBackend supposed to be thread safe?
2. If Elektra finds a merge conflict between the KConfig objects and the
   configuration files on the disc, should we then do a 3-way merge
   which prefers "ours" or should we ask the user with a KDialog how to
   proceed?

We welcome any Feedback either here in the mailing list or as issues
in our KConfig repository [3].

best regards,
Markus Raab, Felix Resch and Dardan Haxhimustafa

[1] https://community.kde.org/Akademy/2018/Config_Workshop
    Slides: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/raab/akademy.pdf
[2] https://www.libelektra.org/
[3] https://github.com/ElektraInitiative/kconfig

--
Markus Raab          http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/raab/
TU Wien                   markus.raab at complang.tuwien.ac.at
Compilers and Languages          Phone: (+431) 58801/185185
Argentinierstr. 8, 1040 Wien, Austria           DVR 0005886