D25015: Update breeze theme shadows

Niccolò Venerandi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Nov 14 09:10:48 GMT 2019

niccolove added a comment.

  In D25015#560514 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D25015#560514>, @ndavis wrote:

  > > Remember that there are third party desktop themes with SVG that we probably want to support. Wouldn't using KWin for shadows break those?
  >
  > If we remove the code for using those SVG shadows, it won't break them in the sense that they will stop working. It'll just mean those parts of the desktop themes won't be used. I suppose that could be seen as a form of visual breakage.
  >
  > For complete theme sets, this shouldn't be such a problem since they also typically come with their own window decorations and recommend a specific widget style. For people who just want to get rid of the shadows we should probably provide an option somewhere to disable them rather than making them edit the plasma theme. I suppose we could wait until Plasma 6 to make that kind of change, but that's a ways away.

  I'm against this; there are many desktop themes that tweak their shadows without being a theme set, and it would be an important regression to ignore them.

  > Regardless of the method we use to achieve it (including continuing to use SVGs), I think it might be best to make Plasmashell's shadows match the shadows cast by menus (such as context menus) in applications. These are defined in the Breeze widget style and have different sizes to match the different window shadow sizes.

  This is interesting. I have to look more into it.

  Meanwhile, I tried to do a more sparse and equal-all-around shadow (to address Nate+Filip), but I'm not 100% okay with it. Opinions?

  F7762929: Screenshot_20191114_100519.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7762929>

REPOSITORY
  R242 Plasma Framework (Library)