New Framework Review: KDAV

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 12:44:23 GMT 2019

On samedi 9 novembre 2019 21:14:46 CET Alexander Potashev wrote:
> сб, 9 нояб. 2019 г. в 14:37, Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org>:
> > during Akademy there was a request to promote KDAV from KDE PIM to
> > Frameworks for use by Plasma Mobile. KDAV is a framework that implements
> > the CalDav/ CardDav/GroupDav protocol on top of KIO's WebDav support. It
> > would be classified as a functional tier 3 framework.
>
> Hi Volker,
>
> The name "KDAV" suggests that it might implement WebDAV. Do you think
> if it should be renamed to something like "DAVExtensions" or let's say
> "AnyDAV"?

The name seems fine to me. The substring "DAV" appears just as much in WebDAV
as it does in CalDav/CardDav/GroupDav. So there's no reason to infer "WebDAV"
from "KDAV".

"Extensions" sounds very optional, and "AnyDAV" looks like yet-another WebDAV-
based protocol in itself.

The issue you see is that someone looking for WebDAV support might end up
thinking KDAV is the right thing to use? Well, maybe it should be, i.e. this
would probably be the right place for some proper future WebDAV API compared
to using kio_http with metadata directly....

Working on KDE Frameworks 5