Notice of intention to remove tests from KCrash and KNotifications

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Nov 5 10:50:27 GMT 2019

I get where you are coming from, but honestly, none of this makes
pushing unreviewed commits that disable the entire test collection of
an entire framework any more correct. If it had only affected the one
test I wouldn't mind so much, but since it hasn't it only goes to
proof that we have reviews for a reason. In particular for repos that
are part of frameworks where we rely on tests to tell us if the
frameworks are good for the monthly release.

There are many shades of grey between sending a "someone please fix"
mail to a mailing list and the nuclear option you implemented. The
most notable one being that you can ask someone who worked on the
repo, or tests recently "Hey, X, can you please disable the test on
windows because its impairing CI?" to which the answer is probably yes
because you'd not only address a very specific person but also the
task is doable in less than 5 minutes.
I understand that there's an element of cat herding in this, but
quality must matter for our products, and the quality of frameworks is
very tightly linked to autotesting and reviews because of how we
release them.