D21907: Show feedback inline when creating new files or folders

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jun 22 15:01:20 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  I addressed them in https://phabricator.kde.org/D21907#482181:

  > 1. Isn't there a better solution by creating the folder and immediately select it + change to edit mode?

  Not really. The proposed behavior would need to be implemented in every single app rather than in KIO, because KIO doesn't know about the view that will hold the new file or folder that's being created. Even if we did do add view-specifric behavior to every app, then we would still have the problem here in KIO's new file/folder dialog, which is app- and view-agnostic. I think it's nicer to have it here in KIO, and have every app use the same component, rather than re-implement the same set of features in many places for different views.

  > 2. Resizing dialogs are usually not preferred.

  Yeah, I can understand this concern. In general I find that people get upset when the window or the window content changes when a KMessageWidget appears, which is a legitimate criticism. However this is a general problem with the KMessageWidget's visual design itself, not really with this specific patch. I would be in favor of making a "popover" version that shows the message in a little pop-up frame that doesn't resize the window or its content. GNOME and macOS do this and it's really quite nice.

  Of course someone would need to write that component. :)

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO