D21907: Show feedback inline when creating new files or folders

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jun 20 07:33:32 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D21907#482146 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21907#482146>, @dhaumann wrote:

  > The much better fix would be: create the folder "New Folder" inline in the list view and immediately switch to edit mode, this way you do not need a dialog at all but don't loose anything. If the folder already exists, name it "New Folder (i)". Yes, that's how it's done in Windows as well, but I think it makes a lot of sense.
  >
  > Comments? :)

  Unfortunately we cannot do this for the dialogs from `KNewFileMenu` because KIO has no knowledge of the client's view. This dialog is invoked not only from Dolphin, but in the file dialogs and many other places. Dolphin itself could implement this as it already has a "rename inline" mode, but it would be a lot of extra code. And `KDirOperator` which is used for the file dialogs does not have that feature so it would have to gain it first.

  In D21907#482169 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21907#482169>, @squeakypancakes wrote:

  > Do the warnings need to below the buttons? I feel like they are kinda out of place there.

  I experimented with putting the warnings elsewhere, but then the problem is that they cause items in the user interface below them to jump around as they appear and disappear. I know from experience that many people really hate this.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO