D21907: Show feedback inline when creating new files or folders

Dominik Haumann noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jun 19 22:09:33 BST 2019

dhaumann added a comment.

  Have not looked at the patch, just the gif: I am rather sceptical if instant feedback is a good idea here. First, having an empty line edit will happen a lot, usually without the user wanting to press OK. That means the user will already get feedback in the middle of the workflow even though he did not yet have the intention to click OK yet.
  The same may hold true for the other cases. Too much on-the-fly feedback may be annoying and stress the user unnecessarily.

  Finally, resizing the dialog depending on the error message also looks rather hard on my eyes.

  The much better fix would be: create the folder "New Folder" inline in the list view and immediately switch to edit mode, this way you do not need a dialog at all but don't loose anything. If the folder already exists, name it "New Folder (i)". Yes, that's how it's done in Windows as well, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

  Comments? :)

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO