KInit - Current state and benchmarks

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Jun 18 09:20:24 BST 2019

On Monday, 17 June 2019 21:34:38 CEST David Edmundson wrote:
> > Which libraries are covered by this mechanism nowadays? The impact is of
> > course bigger the more of the dependencies of the applications are already
> > loaded. When this was developed this was a small amount of relatively
> > large Qt and kdelibs libraries. I'm wondering if the current subset is
> > still relevant, both from Qt (e.g. thinking about QML/Qt Quick) and KF5?
>
> From what I can tell:
>
> implicitly linked to kdeinit:
> QtBase
> QtGui
> Crash
> I18n
> ConfigCore
> WindowSystem
>
> explicitly added at runtime:
> KIOCore
> Parts
> Plasma
>
> and all the dependencies thereof.
> Note libplasma doesn't link QML/Qtquick

ah, I missed the runtime part when searching for this. So that covers a lot of
KF5 (via the extensive dependencies of Parts) I think, as well as QtWidgets.

Newer Kirigami-based applications that are more interesting for Plasma Mobile
would likely benefit much less from this compared to XMLGUI desktop
applications (which are less relevant on resource-constraint mobile/embedded
platforms). And Plasma itself is also not be optimally served by not covering
QtQuick I guess.

Seems like this would need some refocusing if we want to keep it?

Regards,
Volker