D21661: add snoretoast backend for KNotifications on Windows

Simon Redman noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jun 9 06:26:18 BST 2019

sredman added a comment.

  In D21661#476571 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21661#476571>, @pino wrote:

  > In D21661#476156 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21661#476156>, @pino wrote:
  >
  > > how is snoretoast actually used here? you are requiring the library for building and linking, but then:
  > >
  > > - `snoretoastactions.h`, which is part of the headers of snoretoast, is copied here
  > > - the snoretoast library is never used, as the utilities of it are invoked instead If the library does all the work already, then I'd prefer to use it directly instead of spawning executables all the time...
  >

  > Piyush, what about this? It seems the snoretoast library provides a `SnoreToasts` class to do this instead of spawning an helper tool, what about using it instead?

  @vonreth can probably explain better, but basically the situation as I understand it is on Windows you need to be installed in a special place and registered with the OS in order to show notifications. Since KNotifications is a library, an app using it can't (feasibly) be properly registered with the OS. It is possible we could come up with some complicated solution which would require every KNotification-using app to do some special and probably difficult to understand change to support Windows. Or we can have SnoreNotify.exe take care of all that nonsense for us. Note that, up to this point, there have been no special KNotifications changes to the generic KDE Connect codebase to make this work, just some tweaks to the Windows installer to pull in SnoreToast.

  Spawning the process of a small, helper .exe is what other big cross-platform apps, like say Chromium/Google Chrome, do.

  @pino Thank you very much for your reviews up to this point. It is very appreciated :). Supporting notifications on Windows is part of a GSoC project to release KDE Connect on Windows. We have a weekly VoIP meeting to talk about KDE Connect GSoC progress. If you would like to join those meetings, I can give you the information

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications