kdewebkit tarball gone missing?!

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Jul 19 15:03:34 BST 2019

Am Freitag, 19. Juli 2019, 09:05:39 CEST schrieb Volker Krause:
> On Thursday, 18 July 2019 00:15:16 CEST René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> > Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > https://download.kde.org/stable/frameworks/5.60/portingAids/
> >
> > Ah, thanks, I must have missed the announcement of its promotion.
> >
> > So what kind of tier is kdesigner-plugin now - I still have it
categorised
> > as a tier3 but those are supposed to depend only on tier1, tier2 and
tier3
> > frameworks, no? ;)
>
> Even independent of the dependency rules, webkit support in the designer
> plugin is a good point to look at.
>
> There's three options I see:
> (1) remove webkit support from the designer plugin entirely
> (2) move webkit support from the designer plugin to a separate plugin part
> of the webkit repo
> (3) ignore the problem given it's an optional dependency
>
> I'd vote vote for (1) as we obviously don't want to promote usage of the
> obsolete module, so not offering it in the designer palette anymore seems a
> step in that direction (and wouldn't break existing code).

IMHO the complete module kdesigner-plugin is a bit broken approach:
* being separate from the actual widget code and thus running chance of not
getting updated in case widgets get extended/added/deprecated
* defeating the idea of independent modules in KDE Frameworks a bit, if you
want to have designer support for KItemViews, but pulling in all the other
widget-providing modules from KDE Frameworks.

IMHO it should be an optional feature to build per widget providing module.
And then the plugins should simply become part of the devel packages per
module.

I'd be willing to work on (2) to give a sample. And then work on all the
other

Cheers
Friedrich