D18664: Baloo engine: treat every non-success code as a failure

Valeriy Malov noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Feb 3 21:43:11 GMT 2019

valeriymalov planned changes to this revision.
valeriymalov added a comment.

  In D18664#404173 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18664#404173>, @poboiko wrote:

  > 1. Are we actually sure this is gonna fix all those crashes? Otherwise I would suggest using CCBUG instead of BUG inside the commit message.

  I've chosen those bugs based on backtraces I could get myself but without core dumps I can't vouch for that, even with core dumps it'd be hard to tell. Alternatively I can CCBUG and after this gets into a release, ask in those bugs people if they still experience the crash and close them if they won't get back in a month or so.

  > 1. For now, logging is the only way to know if there's something bad going on. In that case I would suggest to at least increase severity of those messages - it would increase chances users will notice it. For example, use `qCCritical` (but this would also require additional check for okayish/non-critical return codes, such as `MDB_NOTFOUND`)

  These errors have good potential to flood users log files. I get around 30 megabytes of those on each boot. I'd rather see them disabled by default.
  It might make sense to add a catch-all error message somewhere on higher level, that would get printed out once, but I haven't looked yet where such message could be placed.

  > 1. Looks like this patch is composed of two parts - introducing new logging category and and improving error handling. It would be also nice to split those into two separate patches.
  > 2. There are a lot of redundant `Q_ASSERT_X` left, which could be removed. I suggest just `grep`'ing over the code to catch'em all. I've started marking them here, but then I gave up - too many of them.
  > 3. There are also several unchecked return codes as well, such as inside `*DB::size()` calls. Those can also be found by `grep`'ing over `Q_ASSERT_X`.

  I'll look into these this week.

REPOSITORY
  R293 Baloo