D22884: [RFC] Don't show title on page by default

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 2 17:19:32 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D22884#505856 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22884#505856>, @broulik wrote:

  > Note that `KTitleWidget` originally used normal font size for a descriptive text. At some point that was then changed to large heading font which prompted developers to just (ab)use it as a headline rather than a full description.

  Probably because using regular-sized text at the top of the window where you would expect a heading to be is weird-looking and offends your sense of typographic hierarchy. The only way to make it not weird to have a descriptive text/subtitle at the top of the window is if directly above it is a real large header (which would mirror the header text in the category chooser). Then you'd have a standard presentation of "header + subtitle."

  But I don't think it makes much sense to show only a subtitle (because it would look lost without its header) or only a header (because it's redundant). This probably explains why the header region's text has been in a state of flux forever. In my experience when some UI thing is just fundamentally wrong, designers can't resist poking and prodding it. Once it's finally right, nobody wants to touch it anymore again.

REPOSITORY
  R236 KWidgetsAddons