D22884: [RFC] Don't show title on page by default

Alexander Potashev noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 2 14:43:43 BST 2019

aspotashev added a comment.

  In D22884#505656 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22884#505656>, @ndavis wrote:

  > Perhaps it is technically a bug, but it seems to me that most of the time (at least in all of the KDE programs I have installed), the title is just the section name, "Configure (the) [section name]" or "[secion name] Options". In Krita, the page titles are sometimes even shorter than the section names. However, if the bug is so widespread and the intended way of using a page title is so rare, perhaps we should disable page titles by default? It also seems to me that if a page needs an additional description that the user can't see until they get to the page, perhaps the section name isn't accurate or descriptive enough?

  It's not always "Configure [section name]". You can't have a long section name or it would be truncated. When the section name can't describe all the aspects of a KCM, its title can be used to elaborate.

  Examples:

  - section name "KDE Connect", title "Connect and sync your devices"
  - section name "Screen Edges", title "Active Screen Corners and Edges"

  Even if we manage to make section names and titles short and descriptive at some point in time, we shouldn't block way for new KCMs that might be too complicated to be named with a couple of words.

REPOSITORY
  R236 KWidgetsAddons