D22365: KNotification macOS native support by NSNotificationCenter

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 1 17:16:50 BST 2019

rjvbb added a comment.

  As I thought this needs some hacking on OS X < 10.10 but a priori all one loses is the user notifications.

  I'm missing a test case in this diff, i.e. a description how you can test these new notifications because I wouldn't know off the top of my head which applications post this kind of notifications (and notifications via DBus work on my system because I have the necessary services running).

  Another question: Qt officially supports/allows all QPA plugins that work on a given platform, which means that it's not impossible to use the XCB "backend" on Mac. It looks like the new code doesn't consider this possibility, and sadly my KWindowSystem changes for Mac have still not made it into a release (they'd allow a runtime `isCocoa` check).
  Still, I would prefer to see something of the sort

    if (d->portalDBusServiceExists) {
      plugin = new NotifyByPortal(this);
    } else {
    #ifdef Q_OS_MACOS
      plugin = new NotifyByMacOSNotificationCenter(this);
    #else
      plugin = new NotifyByPopup(this);
    #endif
    }

  FWIW: you should use the `Q_OS_MACOS` token to test for the Mac desktop OS.