D15718: Do not index the path if the path has no execute permissions.

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Sep 24 05:11:21 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  Making files executable that don't need to be executable is a bad security habit. What if the contents get replaced with something malicious? Suddenly that now-malicious file has execute permissions.

  ---

  Conceptually, you are proposing that the rest of the world adapt to our software, rather than the other way around. That's simply not practical. Even if this were a good idea, the world will never adapt to us. We must adapt to the world. Our software does not exist in a perfect state of total control over the environment it inhabits; it exists to facilitate busy people with messy lives as they work to accomplish their tasks with a minimum of hassle. That goal is not enhanced by breaking KDE Plasma's search tool for them unless they give all of their files execute permissions.

  Sorry, no go. We need to find a better way.

REPOSITORY
  R293 Baloo