D15240: Create a default wallet when user refuses to do so

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 5 05:17:55 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D15240#319994 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15240#319994>, @McPain wrote:

  > What could you say about stuff that doesn't work without wallet but stubborn user always _refuses_ to create one?

  I would say that the computer should conform to the user's desires, not the other way around. :) Stuff that doesn't work with KWallet should be fixed. But the point would be moot if we create a default wallet in a more user-friendly manner...

  In D15240#320224 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15240#320224>, @abetts wrote:

  > I can see this argument as very valuable. I have also been a little startled by setting this up when you first start using Plasma or create your first password. I have not seen this in other systems. I know also we care for security and transparency. Maybe we should reconsider the wizard and use a more automated approach. Thoughts?

  I would favor automatically creating a default wallet with the user's current password using a "good enough" cipher that we can hopefully all agree on. This would probably require changes to user-manager, or whatever it is that receives the string used for a new account's password. At the moment when a new user account is created, it would not only create the new user account, but it would also create a wallet using the same password.

REPOSITORY
  R311 KWallet