D16421: Improve emblem contrast, legibility and consistency

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Oct 27 05:39:10 BST 2018

ndavis added a comment.

  In D16421#349083 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16421#349083>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In D16421#349082 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16421#349082>, @ndavis wrote:
  >
  > > In D16421#349081 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16421#349081>, @ngraham wrote:
  > >
  > > > This would all require some additional changes in Dolphin and Folder view, of course.
  > >

  > > So should I change `emblem-added` and `emblem-remove` back to their original colors? It wouldn't be any worse than it currently is for Dolphin before any changes are applied to it.
  >

  > Well, we should discuss that first. :)
  >
  > An LXR search <https://lxr.kde.org/search?_filestring=&_string=emblem-added> reveals that all users of these emblem use them in the same way. We have two options for how we want to change things:
  >
  > - Use new iconography (such as my proposed checkmark) for `emblem-added` and `emblem-remove`
  > - Create new emblems for this and then over time change our apps to use them. This seems less desirable since then `emblem-added` and `emblem-remove` will then just be unused, and also it requires code changes to those apps.
  >
  >   So if we want to further improve these emblems, my vote is for changing the existing icons rather than making new ones.

  So keep the blue color for now?

  Something that I plan to do in the future is re-do the package management icons and I was hoping to reuse emblem-added and emblem-removed for that. Currently, the package management icons are action icons, but they are hard to read and they blur the line between action and state the way they are used, which is why I'm planning to make them emblems instead.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons