D16421: Improve emblem contrast, legibility and consistency

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Oct 25 04:58:09 BST 2018

ndavis added a comment.

  Here's how that looks: F6349192: Screenshot_20181024_234540.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6349192>

  > In D16421#348361 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16421#348361>, @ndavis wrote:
  >
  >> > Another thing is the `emblem-symbolic-link` icon. It's the only common-ish one that doesn't follow the pattern of having a colored background with a border, which might muddy the design language you've chosen (which I love).
  >>
  >> You're right, but I also like how the chain link looks. How is this? F6349126: Screenshot_20181024_222138.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6349126>
  >

  > With that, it doesn't look so much like a chain link anymore because the two sides of it are so close together. Could we basically use the existing chain link shape but put it within a background? Maybe it doesn't even need to be square; it could be rectangular, or even pill-shaped.

  The problem with changing `emblem-symbolic-link` to have a background is that it doesn't shrink down very well. You have to distort it to make it fit at all and retain the same look. At 8px, it's simply impossible to make the middle section of the chain without needing to use up the entire horizontal width.
  Here's another attempt:
  F6349199: Screenshot_20181024_235038.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6349199>

  F6349201: Screenshot_20181024_235027.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6349201>

  F6349203: Screenshot_20181024_235012.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6349203>