D16392: [Config] Remove KDE4 config support, stop writing arbitrary config files

Stefan BrĂ¼ns noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 24 12:47:52 BST 2018

bruns added a comment.

  In D16392#347781 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16392#347781>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Looks good, but what's our transition plan? Does this need any special handling for people who already have old config files?

  Currently, there is some garbage left in a few config files (potentially any application which **writes** some baloo config keys), on my system:

  balooctl: ~/.config/baloorc
  systemsettings/search: ~/.config/kcmshell5rc, ~/.config/systemsettingsrc

  I am not aware of any bad side effects having these garbage entries. baloo itself (or any of its library functions) newer read these keys from
  the mentioned files, only from ~/.config/baloofilerc.

  Adding cleanup code is of course possible, but this code:

  - has to be run at an appropriate time (each config read? write? session start?)
  - has to parse the config (at least systemsettingsrc is quite large)
  - is extra code which has to be maintained

  As this change is an improvement even without the cleanup, I would postpone the cleanup.

REPOSITORY
  R293 Baloo