D16299: RFC fallback to dnssd service discovery if smb listDir failed on root

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Oct 19 10:43:06 BST 2018

sitter added a comment.

  Done some research on ws-discovery. gsoap is the only free c implementation I could find. There are some python, js and java implementations but they'll probably not help us nearly as much (unless someone wants to write a daemon or helper binary to bridge the language divide without much hassle). Alternative approach would be writing our own implementation using KDAB's kdsoap library, but then that'd need a maintainer which I am confident we don't have :)

  I have no idea how stable or lovely gsoap is to use though. It has only a hand full of users (as in: software using it) that is packaged in debian and the way gsoap is packaged is using an aggressively versioned soname in debian (which is often an indication of either poor soname maintenance or super lax API stability policy; both of which are not very good). So I am not too confident here.

  What I'd really like to know is if windows 10 actually has dnssd nowadays, and if it is enabled by default, and whether smb is published if/when dnssd is enabled.

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras