D16249: Warn user before copy/move job if the file size exceeds the maximum possible file size in FAT32 file system(4 GB)

Stefan BrĂ¼ns noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Oct 18 22:19:36 BST 2018

bruns added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> job_error.cpp:248
>          break;
> +    case KIO::ERR_FILE_TOO_LARGE_FOR_FAT32:
> +        result = i18n("The file named %1 cannot be transferred because its size is greater than 4 GB,"

Should also be handled in `KIO::rawErrorDetail(...)`, same file below.

> ngraham wrote in job_error.cpp:249
> None of the other error messages use quotes around the filenames. What's most semantically correct would be to change `i18n` to `xi18n` and wrap the filename/path token in `<filename></filename>` tags (this is exactly what they're for). We can do that in this patch, and then change it for all the other error messages (as appropriate) in another patch.
>
> Also, in terms of wording, the HIG recommends putting the most important part of the sentence first, which in this case would be the error message; the explanation would go second. See https://hig.kde.org/style/writing/wording.html. So the current sentence may be a bit long, but it's structurally correct as-is.

`"Could not transfer %1 because it is to large. The destination filesystem only supports files up to 4GB.` is shorter ...

The second part may even be removed alltogether, see `KIO::rawErrorDetail`, https://github.com/KDE/kio/blob/master/src/core/job_error.cpp#L311

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO