D16299: RFC fallback to dnssd service discovery if smb listDir failed on root

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Oct 18 15:24:47 BST 2018

sitter added a comment.

  This diff does somewhat depend on D16298 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16298> as currently KDNSSD can easily lock indefinitely on resolving services. We could kinda bypass this with a timeout on service resolution, that would however have the disadvantage of either having to repeat the resolution or not showing the device. Both of which suck a bit. My plan is to simply have the fallback only run with KDNSSD 5.52 (assuming that gets the fix landed).
  Besides that this is working nicely for me.
  I would love to have a way to actually get the workgroup from a share, but from some research that seems simply unobtainable (via smbclient anyway) unless SMB1 is used (as in: if you use the smbclient CLI it would transparently drop down to SMB1 for the workgroup query but even that doesn't work if the minimum version is set >=SMB2). So we could drop to SMB1, but honestly I fail to appreciate the use in that in particular since the maintainer of SMB within Microsoft is very insistent on people not using a 30 year old insecure protocol anymore (rightfully, I should add ;))

  In D16299#345363 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16299#345363>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Wow, awesome work. What more is needed to support Windows? Support for the `WS-Discovery` protocol?

  Yes. I am not sure we have a production quality lib for that anywhere though. I haven't had much of a look since it's tricky to try in my network. There is however a good chance windows 10 already does, or possibly will at some point in the future, embrace dnssd like the rest of the world https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/3-79

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras