D15866: Reduce emblem size for very small icons to prevent obscuring too much of the icon

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Oct 1 21:43:25 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D15866#335042 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15866#335042>, @cfeck wrote:

  > The emblem conveys important information; it should be clearly visible. Scaling to size 6 or 12 would only make sense if our icon sets ship those sizes for emblem icons.

  I would argue that at 8x8, it's really hard to understand what some of the emblems are or mean. This is especially true of the mounted and unmounted emblems that we're talking about for the purpose of the Places Panel (see T9740 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T9740>).

  The icon also conveys important information and should be clearly visible. The problem here is that currently, the emblem can take up 25% of the icon's area when the icon is 16x16 or 32x32, which can render the icon itself difficult to distinguish. For icons that don't use the full space, the emblem can take up even more space.

  For example here's an 8x8 size emblem on top of a 16x16 size icon that doesn't use all of its available space: F6297884: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6297884>

  That's just visual gibberish.

  It's a hard problem to solve unless we put on our thinking caps and come up with some genius idea. :)

REPOSITORY
  R302 KIconThemes